Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sigh...

Some of the children that I work with in early intervention have the diagnosis of autism. Austism has been made very public in the last few years. What is bothering to me is the untrue "facts" that are out there. No matter what people say, autism is not "curable." It is very true that improvements can be made through intense work and therapy-especially music therapy! However, these children are not cured. If you have autism, you have autism. It may be hard for others to be able to tell, depending on the level of functioning. But PLEASE do not believe the current talk-espeically from celebrities-that autism can be cured. How about we focus on the wonderful therapies that are out there for these wonderfully amazing kids.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Hi! I was curious about a cure for autism, so I googled it. I came across this link:

http://within.autistics.org/nocure.html

I'm assuming it's a blog entry of some sort. Whatever it is, it's really quite insightful and I thought you would enjoy it!