Friday, July 06, 2012

An added bonus of travel? Spending 6 hours in the emergency dept last night. Not sure if i caught something while away or when i got back but it was pretty bad. After a day of kayaking and fireworks with friends Wednesday I started feeling really achy. Not the post-kayak achy, but achy all over and just not feeling right. Thursday morning I could barely get out of bed. I finally drug myself to my office where I lasted all of about 2 hours (1 of those hours asleep in a conference room). I went in for an acupuncture session then headed home. I just kept feeling worse and realized that something was really wrong when my temperature read 104.5. That convinced me that something needed to be done, fast. I went to the hospital and once they heard that I had recently been to Central America they placed a mask on me and took me back. The evening started with 2 liters of IV fluids. After the training paramedic finally gave up trying, someone else got the IV in. There are many, many marks on my arm to show his attempts. I had a chest x-ray and a million other tests done. It took quite awhile for the fever to go down, but finally did. Everything that they tested came back normal and they all seemed pretty shocked. While it was good, I still have no idea what was wrong. Eventually they decided to send me home. Today I've been resting, except for my visit to my herbalist, and plan to do the same tomorrow. Pretty scary stuff and nothing that I want to ever repeat!

No comments: