Friday, July 13, 2012

I've been a vegetarian for quite some time. I don't remember ever being that much of a fan of red meat. Starting in high school I experimented back and forth with giving up various meat products. Red meat was the first to go. I rarely ate it and even less frequently cooked it. Then there was the very last day. I still remember it. I had made a hamburger in the George Forman grill (remember those things!) and rinsed it off but didn't scrub it. When I returned home after a long opera rehearsal I walked into an apartment that stunk of red meat. That was it. Done. From then on I would eat chicken out sometimes, but rarely cook it. Then it dwindled down to the rare piece of fish. The last creature from the sea that I ate (well, attempted to but couldn't) was a lobster in Maine. It was on the plate staring back at me. Yes, it was dead but it appeared to be watching me! And that day I said good-bye to seafood. While in Nicaragua I ate WAY to much dairy and wheat/gluten. Basically bread/tortillas and yogurt at an attempt to calm my furious digestive system. Since being back I have made yet another dietary change: gluten and dairy free. Not sure if I will stick with it, but I am for now and it's going well. There are plenty of other options. Coincidentally the NY Times had an article about cow's milk last Sunday (we really aren't made to have it). Check it out HERE. Tonight I tried the above product for the first time. Mac and cheese that is made from brown rice pasta and dairy free "cheese." While it isn't your typical, it's pretty good and I feel good about eating it. I'm currently reading Fair Food. It's basically about how messed up our food system is. If you didn't realize that, you need to read this NOW! Also a recent read (highly recommend, it will blow your mind), The End of Food.

No comments: